Thursday, November 3, 2016

Rote Knowledge vs Critical Questioning

Marshall McLuhan used the concept of an acoustic world to describe the change from processing text to electronic media (of the 1970s).  My impression is that he was using the term acoustic to mean accepting multiple inputs rather than a single visual text.  McLuhan's covered privacy, communication theory, journalism, politics, the work methods, secrecy, schooling, and ecology.  Underlining each of these topics seemed to be a feeling of fear for this shift.  I think his intention was to give an unbiased operational report on the changing technologies, however his main purpose came across as a cultural warning.

I was struck by Ivan Illich's suggestion that schools were obsolete now with the easy access to information.  A thought like this, I can see being proposed now with the heavy reliance on computers, however I am shocked he was feeling this in the 1970s!  In response,McLuhan said, "I'm suggesting that the answer is not that, but to put the questions in the classroom and start a real dialogue there."
From this statement, teachers are responsible for teaching critical literacy-and not necessarily anything else as the students can already access anything they want.  They need to be taught to ask critical and leading questions to begin their journey of knowledge.  Perhaps without blindly feeding information to children we will eliminate the "knowledge creates ignorance" idea.  If children learn to question  fixed concepts and accepted theories will we have a more innovative critically literate society?




Marshall McLuhan Speaks Special Collection: Living in an Acoustic World. http://www.marshallmcluhanspeaks.com/lecture/1970-living-in-an-acoustic-world/

4 comments:

  1. One reason I didn't particularly like the quote that "knowledge creates ignorance" is because I feel that knowledge creates the opposite. I feel that the more knowledge people gain about different topics they tend to be more open-minded and understanding.In the areas of racism, sexism, class-ism, etc. I feel that the more knowledge our society has the more likely we are to be able to make positive changes in our society. I feel that students today are taught to question theories and concepts and not to just accept whatever they hear. In my school district critical thinking is always encouraged and taught. Therefore, I do not agree with the statement made by McLuhan. However, maybe he had meant this in a different way then I perceived it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emily, I attended grade school and high school from 1960 until high school graduation in 1972. I probably wasn't even aware was there critical thinking taught by our teachers. My elementary teacher were the Franciscan Nuns, and high school was a vocational technical environment in the graphic arts, which were taught by former printing journeymen. So who knows what the agenda was in New York City School System back in the day. I have attended on 3 different occasions in my lifetime until January 2008 which I decided I was going to complete something I started back in 1973

      I agree that critical thinking is the key to any successful thought, not just in academics but in our everyday life. I was actually fascinated when I heard the term critical thinking when here at SUNY Sullivan I was put in remedial English to get me started again in education. I would also like to add that rationale and common sense tie into our critical thinking skills. The digital age has expanded our horizons in reading unlimited amount of content, but at the same time all of us could get lost! I hope as a society we can all maintain our sense of direction in our culture.

      Delete
  2. I cannot imagine if teachers were only responsible for "teaching critical literacy and not necessarily anything else as the students can already access anything they want." Would students choose topics that would be beneficial to them or to society? I'm so thankful for teachers that encourage students to work in topic areas even when it's difficult for students to comprehend. I interpret it to mean something differently. The idea of physically sitting in classroom to learn may be seen as obsolete, because of the tools we now have to bring the classroom into our own homes or anywhere else that we may study. I think of our degree program which is completely online. It is very interesting that this was mentioned in the 1970's though, what types of emerging technology would have inspired this statement back then? Do you think the technology we have now will someday be seen as obsolete? You chose some very interesting points to write about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think that what McLuhan says about "knowledge creating ignorance," is the correct interpretation here. He speaks about this as if you learn about some topic and make a discovery, it is impossible to see past that and that there is more to be discovered. But there will almost always be someone out there who has discovered further. And that, in itself, will fuel more research into a topic and even more discovery. People often times think that once they learn about something, the learning is done, and that is the ignorant part. To keep learning and to keep pursuing answers is what will bring more knowledge. But you will always be ignorant to the fact that there is more to learn, no matter how much you have already learned.

    "The scientist has great trouble looking forward past his problem because his knowledge gets in the way. It is only the very ignorant person who can get past that problem because he is not fogged over by knowledge."

    The above quote, explains to me to true joy of teaching. Many times, you can present a topic, and your students will see no problem. It is until you present the problem to them that they will understand the road blocks in the topic. I think what we need to have our students do is to discover the problems on their own. Let them think they have the problem solved and then have them further investigate. If we give them the problems, their ignorance will never dissipate, but if we let them explore the problems and look for solutions, they will gain invaluable knowledge.

    Marshall McLuhan Speaks Special Collection: Living in an Acoustic World

    ReplyDelete