Friday, September 30, 2016

Networked Publics: Response to Defining Place

"For those who gather in these hot spots to engage with the network, being online in the presence of others is the new place to be, the bodily presence of the other cafegoers easing the disconnect with the local that the network creates." (Varnelis, 2012 p20)

In Networked Publics, Kazys Varnelis discusses the changing of place, culture, politics, and infrastructure that arise with the changing of our lives and technologies.  The quote above refers to the congregation of people absorbed in using the internet to connect with others at a distant, while generally ignoring the people nearest in their proximity.  

The online network allows one to connect to many others with similar interests.  Varnelis points to this unique situation of simultaneous place that includes both physical and virtual locations (Varnelis, 2012 p6).  The new skills necessary for this simultaneous engagement is the ability to multitask.  In the example of the cafe, one must be able to balance the online content (social media, online banking, photo sharing, etc.) with the physical environment.  If the cafe becomes smoke-filled or your table neighbor begins to choke- you must be able to ignore the blinking chat message or the funny cat video your cousin sent and react in the physical arena.  Likewise, if you become engaged in consuming your hazelnut biscotti dipped in your cooling soy vanilla latte, you must still be able to respond to your boss' tenth email sent within the last hour.  Our culture demands full attention in both spheres.  We would like just as much attention to detail in everyday encounters as we would in response to online communications.  We would also like these responses at the same speed as a face to face connection if not faster.  That being said, I have noticed that as a society we are slowly shifting to a greater acceptance of half-attention responses given in both spheres.

"To be clear, the new is not good by default."(Varnelis, 2012 p15)

Personally, I find the norm of simultaneous location to be exhausting. The engagement in a face to face conversation can never compare to the conversations with people holding multiple places.  For example, I currently have 13 tabs open on my browser and my phone is inches from my fingers.  I am "in" my blog, a classmate's blog, and the university portal.  I am mid text conversation with five different people.  I have about 15 emails awaiting replies.  I am "in" a toy store, a library, a train station, a doctors office, a knitting store, a museum, and the fantasy land of two books.  In an instant, I may be required or compelled to add additional places.  I know that I am not giving any of the people involved in these places my full attention as I would if I were in just one place. 

So is a single physical place the best way to ensure full engagement?  Likely not.  Multi-place communication has already been ingrained into our culture.   In a face to face conversation, I am wondering if my phone is buzzing about an emergency or if anyone responded to my message. I am thinking about what is happening in these other virtual spheres.  Despite my dislike for split place culture, I know that it has already fully familiar part of our culture.


 Varnelis, K. (2012). Networked Publics. Cambridge, US: The MIT Press. Retrieved from http://www.ebrary.com.library.esc.edu

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your response because it was the same topic I chose to write about. However, you had a different perspective that I had not thought of. When I read this I feared what our society would turn into if we continued down this path of being consumed by technology and ignoring human connections and relationships. I agree with you that our society is constantly multi-tasking with all of the examples you listed above. Do you ever feel that when we multi task that we are not truly engaged with the people around us? I know that personally if I am texting while having a conversation with someone that I am not giving either person my full attention. The reason I am concerned about this is because I feel that if we aren't truly engaged with people around us that social relationships in society will suffer greatly. As Varnelis stated, "The public sphere was becoming evacuated, and along with it place-as well as its deeply etched social and historical meanings-was quickly disappearing." (Varnelis,pp.18.) I agree with you that technology is a key component to our society. I just feel that we are allowing this component to take over our lives in some ways that are not healthy for us and our society. People are meant to have social interaction and I am nervous about what the future holds if our socialization with others continues to diminish.


    Varnelis, K. (2012). Networked Publics. Cambridge, US: The MIT Press. Retrieved from http://www.ebrary.com.library.esc.edu

    ReplyDelete
  2. “Our culture demands full attention in both spheres.” this is the danger that the virtual world brings especially with mobile devices. The term “multi-tasking” is, scientifically, a myth. The human brain can not multitask. Our hardwiring is to be able to focus on one thing at a time. What people misinterpret as multitasking is simply being able to shift quickly from one focus of attention to another. While we are texting we are using our eyes and hands, and if on a mobile device and moving, we are not engaged in the world around us, a rock on the side walk, a car as we are crossing the street, it is simply impossible to exist in the physical world and in the virtual world simultaneously with our full attention. Digital literacy is becoming a very important need in today's culture, and in the concept of place, beyond simply defining it, needs to be incorporated the old adage of “you can't be in two places at once”.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily and Sallie, Yes I do agree that our society is not engaged with those around us and I agree multi tasking (also known as rapid switching of inattention) is not very productive. But the fact of the matter is that the upcoming generation IS participating in life this way. I was recently talking to a friend who is struggling with his 20 year old employees who are unable to focus when he speaks more than two sentences to them.
    I don't know how many times I have tried to have a conversation with others who cannot stop from checking their phone.
    And I have seen multiple people put themselves and others in dangerous situations because they were occupied on a device. (ie taking a phone call in the middle of crossing a street with a baby carriage, sending a cute photo while their dog eats an unidentified object off the street, texting while ignoring several people alerting that a stranger is reaching into her purse)

    I also want to note how easy it is in the virtual sphere to have misunderstandings. Whether from typing errors, missing body clues, or readers skimming. While more people have a voice, their voice is less clear.

    ReplyDelete